Thursday 10 June 2010

Thank you.

With my book at last!

What a week. Having decided I would wait until my birthday to open the package that arrived containing the advance copy of my book suddenly I realized this was not going to be so easy. I moved it away from my studio at one point so that I wouldn't be tempted to look but it was on my mind all the time. Friends were urging me to have two birthdays and open the package twice. The anticipation grew until I recieved a call from my wonderful editorial director Roz Dace to discuss my next book. Roz knows me well and knew that I would probably squeal with delight when I saw the book for the very first time. She was right. I gingerly opened the envelope and looked at the cover. Here I couldn't take it in as I am finding it hard to come to terms with the fact my first book is seriously about to be launched. I only briefly looked inside at a few pages because I wanted to  enjoy the occasion of opening the book fully with theone who has really helped me accomplish this dream. My husband.

And so together the moment came when I could look at my first book, hold it as the real product that will be on sale soon and look back on an experience which has been a wonderful part of my life.

Writing your first book is like painting your first painting.  Then seeing your first  truly successful painting for the first time in your very first exhibition. Others are going to see what you have created and they are going to judge what you have shared.You are nervous. This is a natural feeling.

From the minute  I signed the contract and agreed to write my first book until  next month this journey has been one that has only been shared with my pubishing team who have guided me and encouraged me every step of the way. Only a small handful of people are aware of what is included in this publication and until now only the cover has been on view online.

But in a few short weeks this will all  change and my text and images will be there for  all to see. 

It is a very strange feeling. Knowing what you typed and painted in the privacy of your studio  is now  going to be hopefully enjoyed all over the world as like many books mine will be available online as well as in bookshops.

I know friends and artists who have looked forward to this moment and I find myself feeling small and humble again in that so many artists have written so many superb books before me and I am just  taking small steps to becoming a serious author. This is my introduction.. My first taste of what writing is like. I have a lot to learn.

Inside the cover  there are acknowledgements to everyone who has helped me in making this dream come true. Who have encouraged me to consider sharing my passion for watercolour by writing.

And I am so grateful.

Thank you!


*******************************


12 comments:

Debbie said...

There it is! And the wonderful author. Whoop Whoop!!!!!!! Conrats Jean..... A wonderful dream now slowly unravelling before you. You look gorgeous and wish I could run up to you and give you a huge big hug!
Can't wait now for my copy to arrive in the post!!!!!!!

Cheryl said...

but there is only one of you and you are unique in every way.How you see colours shapes and create no-one else can do the same,I for one cant wait till I hold my copy.

Prabal said...

Congratulations.. You must be thrilled. A first time is always something to cherish. I am sure you'll be sleeping with the book next to your pillow. :)
Congratulations once again.

Ady said...

I love this photo of you, Jean. And congratulations on your book!!! I am very excited for you. You have a wonderful gift which you so generously share with others. You are inspirational. xxx

Jean Haines SWA, SFP said...

Debbie I wish you had been here when I opened the package,that would have made the day complete! I felt the hug over the screen by the way and a huge thank you for being a very special part of my watercolour journey. I am thrilled to be a part of yours too;)

Jean Haines SWA, SFP said...

Hello Cheryl , thank you so much! I loved meeting you on the recent workshops and look forward to seeing you at the launch.................:)

Jean Haines SWA, SFP said...

Hello Prabal. A first time really is a time to cherish and I am only just finding minutes to enjoy this experience as it has been a very busy year for me. Thank you so much for such a lovely reply

Jean Haines SWA, SFP said...

Hello Ady, I give because I truly want everyone to feel as passionate about watercolour as I do.It makes my life so wonderful and I wish that happiness on everyone else. Thank you SO much for being there and a wonderful friend.

Vickie said...

Congratulations! A moment of joy and triumph. And an accomplishment to cherish. The fun and hard work are just beginning!

Marie Theron said...

Dear Jean, now I know that there is something like 'half-a-look' and 'a full look'. We share with you the excitement of seeing your wonderful book in print and being offered a follow-up. This photo of you with the book is so lovely too!

Fernando Pena said...

:)

JANE MINTER said...

so happy for you jean ... sneak preview :) ... must have been a very special day yesterday for you both to share .