Monday 31 August 2015

Paintings from my "World of Watercolour " Exhibition 2015 : Birds


 World of Watercolour Exhibition 2015

 Here are the next  collection of paintings from my new book "Jean Haines World of Watercolour" that will be included in my solo exhibition of the same name, at the Frame Gallery in Odiham this September. These paintings are very dear to me for personal reasons. This blog post includes some of the birds from my book and upcoming solo show. Wildlife is a favourite subject for me. Living where I do in English countryside I am so privileged to see it up close, to paint.


 
 Jenny Wren 
Page 1.in my book  "Jean Haines World of Watercolour"
Framed : Size 52 x 60 cms.
Price £535

I have always loved wrens. I see one each day on my morning walk with Bailey, my bearded collie. But there is also one that seems to live in our garden. They are beautiful little birds. To me the most fascinating thing about them is that they are tiny and plain in colour. Almost insignificant. But that is what appeals to me about them. The way they move, their bright eyes.To me they are such pretty birds. Beautiful in their simplicity. Not everything needs to be a blast of colour to be gorgeous. Painting this one was an absolute delight to paint but as I worked in my studio on the piece one hovered right outside my studio window. As if it knew it was the subject for my painting.

I have selected a white frame to show off the delicacy of this piece and it looks wonderful. I am thrilled to include this in my show.

***************


 Heron
Page 173 of my book  "Jean Haines World of Watercolour"
Framed : Size 52 x 62 cms.
Price £495

Anyone who has been to my cottage or my workshops may have heard me talk about Hector. Hector is the heron who lives in our cottage garden. Sometimes he reminds me of an elegant grey haired gentleman who just happens to love passing the time of day with you. One who loves a country garden and is happy to wander around it. Of course Hector is also naughty in that he steals fish from our pond but on the whole he is so charming that I can't be angry at him for that. And he has made an appearance in my new book.

Painted in a a way that makes the most of my Chinese Brush work techniques and leaving the white paper to tell the story as much as what is painted upon it.

Hector is in a white wooden frame and he looks very handsome!
 ***********


Puffin
Page 51 of my book  "Jean Haines World of Watercolour"
Framed : Size 62 x 47  cms.
Price £595

Not seen in my garden! This beautiful Puffin is very dear to me for a different reason. I hold workshops all over the world and on them I am asked to demonstrate how I will approach painting all manner of subjects. On one occasion I was asked how I would paint a puffin. The demonstration was part of my course "one on one" sessions but the whole class are able to watch these if they are interested in the subject. And they were. I started with the eye of the puffin and began to build up the painting. At one point while demonstrating there was only the head and no beak so the little bird looked rather odd.  At this time a member of the class informed me that Puffins beaks fall off in winter. I couldn't help but reply " Do you mean they walk around looking like this?"  The whole class fell about laughing as did I. And for a while I couldn't stop giggling. This is confession time. My biggest fear when demonstrating or holding workshops is to get a giggling fit because even at this age I can't stop once I start laughing. It is embarrassing. I was lucky, the whole room laughed with me but for a while no one could say the word " Puffin" in front of me in case I started laughing again. Artist son this course remembered and emails that followed often mentioned " puffin" knowing it would get me smiling and giggling again. There was a bond in that class that I will never forget and the loved flowed into this painting because of it.

*************

I love all these paintings. They look fabulous in my own home but they are also very integral to my book and how it was written. My goal in this exhibition is to have my work owned by people who love each painting for a reason. And this is why I am letting these special paintings go.


If you are interested in any of these paintings or work from my latest book " Jean Haines World of Watercolour" please contact Jan at the Frame Gallery who can advise you on how to purchase.

My solo exhibition opens on 11th September 2015. 

Here is a link to the gallery.


**************** 

If you would like to buy a copy of my book "Jean Haines World of Watercolour" it is available via this link




Jean Haines World of Watercolour.
Launched in June 2015. 
Already an international best seller




No comments: