Sunday 3 April 2016

Talking About Racing

Work in Progress
Exhibition piece : Copyright Jean Haines 

I am laughing because after writing my blog post about the creative process on "not racing" when painting what am I doing? Painting a horse racing scene. To be fair the same rule applies for me. I am not racing to complete this painting but must confess when I paint action scenes my brushwork does speed up quite a lot as I aim to capture a sense of movement and life in my work.

This new piece is for a solo exhibition this year and it is a wonderful painting to work on. I feel it is nearly finished but a few more details will help make the horse "pop" off the paper towards the viewer.

Interestingly, I have had to move out of the way when working on this as it has genuinely felt as though the horse is racing towards me in real life. This hasn't felt like colour on paper. It has felt completely alive which is really fascinating.

It is so good to be back in my studio after all that travelling!


***********************

No comments: