Wednesday 30 November 2016

I can!

Blue Tit 
Study in Watercolour

Yesterdays blog post gave me the perfect excuse to sit and study blue tits today and I did. I observed how bright their tiny eyes are. I noticed what a stunning blue is on the top of their heads in morning sunlight. I loved their fluffy, yellow chest plumage which in some lights looks quite greenish. The white on the face isn't always snow white. Mostly it seems shadowed. Their beaks are really small! And when they do fluff up their feathers they look very different to when the don't. Size wise.

Last night before I closed my studio for the day I painted the above study of a Blue Tit. I felt calm and I knew these were the last brushstrokes of the day. Just like the last chocolates in a box, these are to be savoured not raced.

I took my time painting a beautiful small beady eye first. I carefully thought about the colour of the back of the head. I created part of the breast feathers but then stopped. I could already see the little fellow very clearly minus their wings, legs or a background. I loved creating this little bird. Now I can create a new painting taking the information from this study into my new work.

Oh how I love sitting watching the wildlife from my studio window, and as I type my model is posing outside again.

Its' time to paint!

Artists Tips of the Day?

Think about your brushstrokes as you would your favourite chocolates. Savour each one and take your time enjoying them. 
 Thats' it! 
Take your time.
Observe
Learn and enjoy!


*****************

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jean, I'm an artist living in the UK and I just wanted to let you know that I have your book 'Painting Calm' and actually mentioned it on my blog today :). Here is the link for your info. http://janehinchliffe.com/tips-benefits-loosening-up-with-watercolour-the-art-of-life-3/ You are an inspiration Jean - thank you. Regards, Jane.

Unknown said...

Hi Jean, I'm an artist living in the UK and I just wanted to let you know that I have your book 'Painting Calm' and actually mentioned it on my blog today :). Here is the link for your info. http://janehinchliffe.com/tips-benefits-loosening-up-with-watercolour-the-art-of-life-3/ You are an inspiration Jean - thank you. Regards, Jane.